I wasn’t very sure what I was going to do in September 2019 until recently.

Well, I have to say that it wasn’t a very straightforward process.

We were first offered to take part in Erasmus in 2017, and I have to say that I wasn’t very keen on going – I was new to the UK, getting used to the university life and desperately looking for a job. The second year, however, was a completely different story.

As we were told about the opportunity to study abroad for a year, I thought ‘Well, a year abroad is a long time, I will have to think about it thoroughly,’ and I decided to take some time to think about it.

However, there was another option offered to Psychology students that immediately caught my interest – the GSR (Government Social Research) internships. This would mean (the so badly needed) money to cover my living costs, and amazing work experiences of working for the UK government! I applied (to DfE), got interviewed (at MoJ), but I was not offered the internship for the lack of positions available. I have however become determined to do something out of the course, to get new experiences and to (sort of) broaden my horizons, which is why I decided that Erasmus might be the right thing for me.

If you think about it, it’s really easy to see all the disadvantages, such as living in a foreign country for a long period of time, having to look for accommodation, and starting anew – but there are so many advantages, too! You have the chance to study in a foreign country (and perhaps take up modules your home university doesn’t even offer), get to know a different culture and learn a new language – for free! What’s more, Erasmus will help you with your living costs (€300-350 a month as of 2019), so you can live off the grant (and some savings or your maintenance loan – if you decide to apply for it). Some universities charge their students for going abroad (up to £1,385 as of 2019), but Lincoln supports international mobility by not charging any fees while you are abroad.

Students who have done Erasmus also tend to be more successful at completing their degree back in the UK and finding a job. They also find new friends and – some of them – even their partners! If you’re interested in what the benefits of Erasmus are, have a look at the Erasmus Impact Study.

Next time, I will tell you more about what the application process is like at the School of Psychology!

Best,

Ondrej