I have now been engaging in distance learning for 2 academic semesters. I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on my Erasmus+ experience.

My dear Padua…

It is very strange. I still have vivid memories of attending lectures, going shopping, meeting friends and going out, yet it feels like a lot of time has passed – and it indeed has. It has now been a year since I left Padua for good nad started studying from home.

I summarised my distance learning experiences in a previous article; I have since not had the opportunity to go back. My Paduan friends were very kind to pack my belongings and send them to the Czech Republic. Global Opportunities were very extremely helpful in assisting with the shipping and paying for the postage as well as claiming refunds for plane tickets I was never able to use.

The realisation that I would not be able to go back – at least for some time – took a while to kick in. I only fully processed what had been happening last summer. There were a few tears and a lot of sadness; this is often called the post-Erasmus depression and it is quite frequent among Erasmus alumni. I would say that its delayed onset was caused by the abrupt end of my mobility and not having the opportunity to conclude my studies in the normal fashion and say goodbye. However, it was important to move on as the start of the new academic year was quickly approaching.

Returning to Lincoln

I returned to Lincoln in October 2020 as the School of Psychology decided to adapt a blended learning approach. Luckily, I was able to attend some labs and workshops before the national lockdown started and I am very grateful for it. Being in class after such a long time felt great!

Self-isolating for 14 days straight was one of the most difficult things I had to do. It was not so much about the fact that I had to stay at home – the idea of not being allowed to leave the house even if just for a walk in the nature was excruciating. I think every student who has to self-isolate, especially as they are changing countries and cultures, will agree that this is one of the most difficult things to do. I did mention this to someone in the School of Psychology and I was really surprised when several lectures offered to talk to me – it is something I am very grateful for.

Unfortunately, as the situation worsened soon after my return and the country entered yet another lockdown, face-to-face teaching was suspended. I found it very helpful to use the University’s facilities – leaving my room to work in the library or other university buildings helped me to focus and change environments. Psychologically speaking, I think it is better to link work to the university environment and relaxation to your home.

Ongoing Erasmus+ exchanges

I have since heard of UoL students who, despite the ongoing pandemic, decided to go to Padua and complete their study abroad programme. From what I gathered, they have been very busy (and happy!), which makes me a little jealous, but hey, that is life!

I was also lucky enough to have met a Psychology student from Padua in one of my classes; connecting with them, learning about their Erasmus experience and sharing stories from Padua was one of the most wonderful parts of the first semester. So – if you ever go on Erasmus and come back, do look for exchange students! We all have something in common and it allows us to connect more easily.

I was very happy to have introduced the student to what Psychology at the University of Lincoln is like – be it learning, facilities available,or just the way our assessments should be formatted – and I would like to think that this helped them make the most our of their stay. I now also have a new friend that I can visit once I go back to Padua!

Brexit – Erasmus – Turing

Brexit has been a big topic in the UK ever since I came here. I was saddened to see the country withdraw from the Erasmus+ scheme. I think this might impact the number of incoming exchange students, especially because of the funding and visa requirements, but I believe that European universities will look for ways to re-connect with the UK Higher Education.

Erasmus is currently suspended at the University of Lincoln because of the pandemic, but students in the 2021/22 academic year will have the opportunity to participate in the last UK cohort of Erasmus+. That’s right – if you want to study abroad, it’s time to contact Global Opportunities and ask for more information!

Luckily, the UK students will be able to get funding and support when studying and working abroad through the new Turing Scheme. It now looks like the scheme will copy the existing Erasmus+ scheme, which is positive in that students will get study abroad grants and receive support from their home institutions. I am eager for the scheme to launch and hear from its first participants – perhaps I will join it myself!